Friday 12 January 2018

Leach's Storm Petrels

Back in September last year, the conditions were right for Leach's Storm Petrels to come close to the shores around the coast of The Wirral, where I live. Strong north westerly winds over a few days would blow them off course, bringing them within photographic distance. It had been seven years since the timing of the winds had been right. Even the sun was out and shining in the right direction, for what was probably one of the best sessions I have had with these small birds.

They are always a challenge to photograph in the strong gales. Keeping the lens on the bird itself is difficult as the lens hood catches the wind. The birds appear and disappear in the waves, as they roll in. I usually get a good soaking from too. So I always feel a sense of achievement if I manage to get some decent shots.










1 comment:

Mike Attwood said...

Excellent pictures of a bird I am yet to record. Mike.

Related Posts with Thumbnails